“Summer, summer, summertime! Time to sit back and unwind.” Sing along now! I’ve put a fun summer musical mix together for y’all, including this throw back by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince! All the songs on the playlist either contain the word “hot” or a summer-y word. Warning: downloading them may cause the strong desire to sit on a porch, fan yourself & drink lemonade!
Even though the weather has had some odd behaviors recently, summer is officially upon us. Not only are we now HAWT at Hipline while we shake, strut & shimmy, we are giving an even more juicy-fied meaning to “It’s getting HOT in herre” as Nelly likes to croon to us.
While I know we get hot & sweaty during the winter months as well, it’s especially important to make sure you don’t overheat in the hotter summertime. We do our best to keep the temperature at the studios at the right levels (shout-out to our fabulous crew members!) & turn the fans on (shout-out to the ladies that stand near them & turn them on when we are ready!) to help y’all out. Here are some tips that you can do in order to stay cool-ish:
- Stay Hydrated: Always bring a beverage to class with you to sip on in between routines. Adding a pack of Emergen-C to your water or drinking Coconut Water provides extra electrolytes that your body needs if you are sweating more.
- Stay Hydrated: Wait, didn’t I just say that? Yes, BUT I want to emphasize not only should you drink water during class, but you need to do it on the regular! Want more info as to why & tips for making it become a habit? Read this earlier post!
- (Re)discover New Hairstyles: Wearing your hair off your neck can make a world of difference to keeping your temperature down. Pigtails, braids, buns. Watch out Princess Leah! Shoot, if you are inspired, you can cut it all off (Go, Sassy Samar!) or create a whole new look that is uniquely you!
- Make Wise Clothing Choices: There ain’t nothing wrong with sporting some short shorts, capri leggings & tank tops with less coverage. In fact, you might as well get crazy with T-Pain & “Take Your Shirt Off!” If it’s time for a new purchase, be sure to get a fabric that have “wicking” as it will keep you way cooler than the innocent-looking-but-not-so-cooling cotton.
- Make Smaller Moves: I put this one last, as I want y’all to get your full, delicious, sweaty workouts in! That said, if you hit a point at which you are too hot, give yourself permission to take a song or two to make your moves smaller while you catch your breath, lower your heart rate, be slightly more mellow…and, then of course, pick it back up when you are ready!
Live Lusciously, y’all gorgeous people & happy summertime!
In peace, health & happiness, Heather
p.s. While at Lakeshore, if you sit on the edge of the waterfall, you can enjoy a slight mist (just be aware you may also get a wet booty!). Please refrain from going into it, though! : )
Heather is an advocate of giving the body the love it deserves! She loves the sweat that comes for Shimmy Pop (except when it gets into her eyeball) & adores the shower that follows that sweat! You can find more body-love information & inspiration on how to Live Lusciously through her website, CreateYourOwnBeautiful.com.