Cat : Meow :: Dog : ___.
Sun : Yellow :: Hipline : ___.
Do you remember analogies from back in the day in school & trying to figure out the connections?
How about this one,
Car : Gas :: Body : ___.
That’s right, y’all! Food! Here’s the deelio, your body needs food to act as its fuel to keep on keepin’ on! Not only does it affect your workouts, it also plays into your overall energy level post-Poppin’, even when you are just hangin’ out & being mellow, Oaklandish style.
Here is some food for thought around fueling your body when it comes to workouts:
- Try to eat a well-balanced meal 3-4 hours prior to class.
- It’s better to have something in your system before an intense workout. Eating 1 hour before is better than nothing, but be sure to stick to a simple carb like pretzels, raw almonds, or a banana that is easier to digest.
- Avoid heavier foods that are high in protein or fat before working out. One of you lovely ladies recently shared with me about eating a burrito an hour before dancing; let’s just say it leads to not the most comfortable workout! ; )
- If you are working out more than an hour, have a snack. That means all y’all who double up on classes, it’s key to have a handful of something in between!
- Related reminder: all of us need to hydrate during our workouts! Adding a pack of Emergency also can give you a nice energy boost. Pomegranate cranberry is my favorite flavor : )
- After a workout, try to eat a few carbs within 15 minutes after in order to replenish your glycogen level. This is helpful so that you don’t experience a ‘crash’ in your energy level.
- Finally, a well-balanced meal within 2 hours after you are done exercising is essential to fully replenish all of your hard work!
Alright, Lovely Ladies, take care of your bodacious bodies & Live Lusciously!
In peace, health & happiness, Heather
Heather is an advocate of staying fueled to keep the energy high for Shimmy Poppin’. She is well-known for popping a handful of cranberries & nuts into her mouth between teaching her Toning & Pop classes. She also loves a perfectly ripe banana to eat during the halftime show between classes. You can find more inspiration on how to Live Lusciously through her website, CreateYourOwnBeautiful.com.